Sunday, June 22, 2008

Realization



http://picasaweb.google.com/srussel459/MidJunemtnBikeFromJeffsHouseUpKingsCanyonAndDownAshCanyon
Jeffs pics...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/facilitybikeclub/sets/72157605754617891/

1/2 mile short of 36 miles and 8 minutes short of 5 hours....J-mo like a lot of people who live where they have lived most of their lives started to realize he hasn't done some of the bigger climbs around the area from bottom to top. When I lived near DC I almost never went to some of the greatest museums in the world. I scraped the surface so to speak. I won't bore my small readership with directions and details other than we started at Jeff house at 9am and ended at his house around 4.30ish pm. We climbed high enough to see Lake Tahoe and then around a bit and down a Canyon that is a part of our lunchtime rides. At the top of this Canyon on our descent it was so steep some of us experienced brake fade and we could smell our discs/pads overheating. A couple of hikers congratulated me on making the final hill before you make a short descent to enter the Flume Trail. When I told them I had climbed from Carson City they seemed to look semi-impressed. For fit riders this isn't such a big deal but I know some fit folks who might have hesitations at a 5 hour ride with 4 of it climbing. Ryans girlfriend Christine was tough as nails. Since I know them the least I ended up in nice conversations during portions of the climbs only to realize she was setting a nice pace. At one point 3/4 of the way thru the hardest climbing...the point in which little hills seems to take a lot out of you.... I was chatting with Ryan and Christine was in front grinding these climbs out and instead of soft pedaling on the rest parts you could hear the clunk clunk noise of her shifting to harder gears. She's got hammer in her blood. Probably comes from hanging around Ryan. In summary it was nice to do this suffering with this group of people. No mechanicals, no whining and just a sense of being lucky to have such nice surroundings to suffer in. Now that's it's done I don't ever remember suffering. Oh that's right...I just got the feeling back in my big toe. Gotta stop mashing and start spinning. Now when people say they climbed Kings Canyon to Spooner, up to Marlette over Sunflower Pass and down to Hobart and finally back down Ash Canyon, those of us who have never done it will have a response. And 1 final realization. I can still ride a mtn bike. I was starting to wonder. I gave myself an early Bday present with this simple realization.

Thanks Lester, Ryan, Christine and J-mo..

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds and looks like it was an awesome day. One you'll remember for a very long time. Nice pictures by you and Jeff.

Pam said...

Happy Birthday, Scot-tee!!! We've been into makin' margs lately - by the pitcher. I'll be sure to mix up a new batch tonight and we'll drink a few to your birthday.

Enjoy!

Much love from us and all of the critters.

Jeff Moser said...

It was very empowering to do such a ride from the house.

We'll get some better descending in next time. Was kind of a shame to climb most of the day, only to plummet back to Carson in just a few short miles. I was afraid my brakes were going to give out!

Scott said...

I was looking for a runaway truck ramp at 1 point coming down that thing.

westyman said...

Awesome, Scott! Glad to hear you're back in the groove!