Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Blog is working again - Labwork

Most folks who've known me for a bit know one of my biggest fears is getting blood work done. So I got a new Doc out here and he wanted lab work done right off the bat just to see what kind of poison he was dealing with. The week of blood work #1 I called around to the 2 places to make sure they weren't busy because I knew if I had to wait bad things would happen. I fasted at least 3 times that week but couldn't find my window of opportunity until later in the week. I rolled in and only 1 person was there. Got it done before I had time to think about it. So the results came back...My triglycerides were over 600. Runs in the family. He put me on a med and says do more labs in a month and we'll talk again. Lab #2 didn't go so well. I got a bit cocky and rolled into a crowded waiting room. Sat there and my mind started racing. When it was my turn something weird happened with the lady in front of me as they had to clean that room with bleach. By now I'm sweating and worked up/down into a bad state. She stuck me and I completely passed out! When I woke up 2 people were over top of me saying my name loudly. My ears and eyes were working but my brain was still off. I had no idea who I was let alone them. The brain engaged and I woke up to what felt like a hangover. Went back to work soaking wet with sweat and felt so shaky I skipped the lunch ride. So now I get the call the the blood is still fahqed up so Thursday I get see what sort of new and wonderful thing I get to try AND go back for labs in another month or two. How can something so non painful get into my head like that.

5 comments:

Stacey said...

Dag that sucks. If it makes you feel any better all the men in my family pass out when they get stuck with a needle for everything. The woman it doesn't phase us. I wonder if that's signifcant.... hhhmmmmm. You need to find your happy place.

Brockhead said...

I'm sorry for laughing at your pain but the visual of you passed out with people standing over you calling your name really cracked me. Just the way it was worded. Oh and WTF happened to the lady in front of you that required bleach to clean the room? That would have had me worried also. Did they severe a main artery trying to get blood? WE GOT A BLEEDER.

We have a friend who at the sight of a bandaid with a little blood on it will start uncontrolable wretching like he is going to vomit. It's crazy. He now lives in Florida and Stacey and I keep talking about putting a dirty bandaid in an envelope and mailing him one from time to time. Nothing like opening mail and wretching at the contents.

Scott said...

I was thinking they cut her and there was blood all over so that got me extra worked up. And the smell of the bleach stayed with me for hours...What a sissy.

Scott said...

So it turns out my numbers are pretty good. Won't have to pass out again until January sometime.

Anonymous said...

I completely understand how you feel....I have had similar experiences at lab centers and have had almost the same reaction....minus the passing out....but trust me, I get close!
-Nectaria