Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Old Timers and New Timers




Today I met my usual mtn biking cohort(Ed) and 2 coworkers and a friend of Ritchies(Ben) for a mtn bike ride at Schaeffer Farms. John has been commuting on his bicycle for a little while so he had some fitness but is otherwise new to mtn biking. Ritchie on the other hand has not been riding and he smokes quite a bit. The other thing not in his favor was he opted for a mtn bike for his 15 year Marriott reward. 15 years of service and all they can fork over is some 100 dollar piece of shit that smelled like an egg roll. Needless to say this bike didn't survive this fairly smooth ride. Way to go Marriott. I told him he should have opted for the knife set instead of a bike. The one thing Ritchie had in his favor is that he is fearless. This can be good or bad depending on how fast your body heals. I'm sure with a few rides and a better bike he would be a fast rider. The first of many occurrences was watching John from behind as he frantically braked to make a bridge that was situated on a corner. The noise from behind was that of skidding, chain slap and a thud as his front tire went off the bridge and he impaled himself on the other side. The amazing thing was he wasn't hurt nor was his bike! Ritchie had a few yard sales and mechanical failures but he survived with minor damage. One of the main problems was his seat wouldn't stay adjusted so it was pointing up. I think secretly he liked it and all the fuss was just a smokescreen. All in all it was a good time and I think I've found 2 more guys to ride with(as soon as Ritchie gets a new bike or puts in 15 more years).
Short video of Ed and Ritchie Jumping a log.

3 comments:

Jeff Moser said...

That's some funny stuff!

Yep, the knife set or the football radio. I can't believe he jumped the log on that thing!

Looks like good times. Beam me over...

Unknown said...

Nice write up Scott, the only thing missing was the fact that I locked my truck keys in my truck with it started and Ed had to bail me out for about the 3rd time that day!!!

Scott said...

Well, I had to cut you some slack.