Monday, May 19, 2008

My 1st poker run(Gonads n' Strife)








Brent and Sandie were gracious enough to coax me(didn't take much) into to going to a bicycle poker run in Reno to benefit the Make A Wish foundation. They picked me up and supplied the cruiser bicycle. Although it's not necessary to have a cruiser it seems that's what 90 percent of the people ride. I hadn't been on anything with a coaster brake in probably over 35 years. With your normal bicycle almost nobody even cares what you ride but with these cruisers, it's almost like the car world. People will comment on things...'nice seat..nice paint job...nice this, that and the other'...and the cool thing is most of these bikes are cheap. Cruising and beer drinking. I was thinking if we were the last to make it back...but in time for the drawing that would be perfect. We might not have been the last but we timed our beers well. I suppose after a few paychecks I will need to see what kind of cruiser may best suit my going slow and beer drinking needs. There was one incident in downtown Reno. As the pack thinned out there were probably 10 of us in a bunch approaching a stoplight. Some guy with a radio station bumper sticker that said, 'Love 93' or some other shit on the back came from behind honking. So at the next light Sandie and ignorant ass driver got in a legal battle over how many abreast is proper. I think 2 but I'm not sure. After 3/4 of the words were exchanged he blurts out, 'I hope you get hit by a car'....I'd almost rather have someone throw me the finger or call me a wuss than say that...Probably a good thing the light turned green, Brent wasn't too happy with that and had I heard it I wouldn't have been either. But in a way that seems to be the norm with cyclists and motorists. Maybe all the cyclist of the world should unite and raise some money to supply the motorists with Valium. Seems the line from Cool Hand Luke applies to this issue, 'Failure to communicate'. I'm a cyclist and a motorist and I can't recall 1 time that I felt delayed by any cyclist anywhere. Sometimes they make me nervous as do motorcycles but as far as being slowed down to the point of being late for something....Never....So when I've had enough and start an outlaw bicycle chapter with leather jackets complete with lower rockers we'll see how many people sound off. Something about this war talk turns my stomach. Enough..............Thanks again Brent and Sandie!


rest of the pics live here.....

No comments: