Saturday, March 28, 2009



Religion Thoughts
------------------------
How can people look at others with different beliefs and somehow through the reading of their own preferable text justify superiority? If god created us then he must be present in each and every one of us. Why do we look to the bible to find answers when the answers are written in the DNA and lives of everyone around us? I'm certainly not against looking to the bible for answers but those answers are transitory at best. If you were god, would you create a mysticism so confusing that it would create 50 different factions to understand it? Would you create a son to be a savior to all of humanity and have him not write one word concerning salvation but leave the task of documenting to his followers and the followers of his followers long after the fact? I think this life can be so harsh that its very easy to understand anyone trying to paint a blissful picture of the afterlife. What I don't understand is the rules it takes to get to this supposed afterlife. Live like an animal and ask for forgiveness and pretend to believe and you have a hall pass. I for one like the idea of the hall pass, but is that real? Its very easy to look at text and find many meanings. Is this good or bad? If you were god would you want the answers written in text? If you spoke a sentence to me would you want me to understand it or try to untangle some kind of mystery? It would also be easy to control people with the fear of hell and I can't think of a more cruel idea than that. If you think you are god .....you might just find 100,000 people ready to listen to your godlike ideas and make you rich. I guess I don't have issues if people find peace from religion but for those that want to control, judge and implant fear of hell and reign all knowing....I do have issues.

17 comments:

Jeff Moser said...

You need a hug. Come here, you!

Scott said...

Builds up and comes out.

westyman said...

Always enjoy everything you have to say, Scott! :-) Keep it up!

Brockhead said...

Preach on Brother Scott. Can I get an amen.

Stacey said...

It amazing me how many wars were fought over religion. It's perplexing when BOTH sides are praying to God for help. He can't help both out win a war.

Scott said...

I really love it (not the tragedy) when something awful happens and somebody survives and when interviewed they thank god. And I always think, 'what about the others in the trailer park who just got wiped out by a tornado?. Where did it all go wrong......

BackroadGirl said...

I agree with Scott. And as a nurse who has taken care of kids with cancer, and watched more than a few die, it bothers me to see people praying over the outcome of a sports match...as if god, if there was a god, should care more about a football game, than a child's suffering?

Scott said...

The folks in any sport who point to the sky when they hit a homerun or score a touchdown...thats priceless.

Vicki said...

Hey Scotty. Reading this just makes me miss you more. You always have had a way of seeing things clearly and without all the noise that life throws in. You should write a book. "Life According To Russell", or whatever you want to call it. I'd buy it as I'm sure so many others would just for the insight.

Brent said...

"You tell me I'm forgiven if I need to be, I say permission oughta come that easily, I'm pilin cores up underneath this apple tree singin 'O Holy Night'"

Anonymous said...

"Would you create a son to be a savior to all of humanity and have him not write one word concerning salvation but leave the task of documenting to his followers and the followers of his followers long after the fact?"

The Bible has a new testament and an old testament, the new testament was written as a result of the death of Jesus (why he died on that cross). If not for Jesus, there would not be a new testament. Jesus had to leave it to his followers to write about his life for he was DEAD and no longer on Earth. Has anyone ever written anything while DEAD?

Scott said...

So the question remains...At what point did he know he was a savior? Or if he never knew then what was the point? There are saviors to many and various forms. I know for a fact I have a dozen people who've saved me enough to get this far. I still maintain that heaven and hell is a cruel idea and even if's its true I will not relent on that. If god created this brain then I'm of free will to burn in hell forever and I would suggest that anyone who knows me would beg to differ that burning in hell isn't what I deserve. I shall wear my shirt tomorrow, 'Lord save me from your followers bullshit'.

Scott said...

and fucking furthermore....Who would be tasked with saving all of humanity without knowing that was his task! So if he knew then he should have be fully in tune with ad-microsoft office!

Scott said...

and re-fucking furthermore. That's not much different than God packing somebodies backpack full of dope and sending him across the border. 'What, I has a drug runner....I didn't know'. I have no problems with Jesus but I do have problems with what he does and doesn't mean and you can take your heaven and hell and shove it.

Anonymous said...

As you said, it is complicated. I just didn't want anyone hung up on that "not write one word" thing. You are right, heaven/hell seems to be an evil concept. Is the concept so bad when thinking about Hitler, Stalin, serial child molesters/rapists and the like? Does the concept of hell give most reasonable people pleasure to think types like these won't escape punishment? As for your average Jane and Joe, we really have no idea if they will go to heaven or hell especially since there are a lot of people on Earth whom are not Christian or Muslim. Muslims also believe in a Judgment Day and so a heaven and hell. The lucky ones are the Jews for Judaism focuses on the here and now and not the afterlife. Many (most?) modern day Jews believe there is some punishment in the afterlife, but they don't think it is eternal.

Scott said...

Whomever created us if there is such a person created us in their image so if we're fallible then the creator must also be fallible. Power corrupts almost anyone. You don't need the greatest examples in human recorded history to prove that. Look to your local church. Look at the jails. If he truly created us then he fucked our brains up horribly. It's not the devil my friend. That's why man had to invent Hell.

Anonymous said...

I keep trying to think "what would a Christian say" since I'm not particularly religious. I got it: After being exposed to the elements, images tarnish with time (some more than others). God isn't exposed to the elements so he remains perfect. That might sound lame, but it is enough for religious folks to continue on the same path. They always have a reason, they can always defend their God, their Bible, their Koran, their Buddha.