Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Fathers Day

Fathers Day
----------------
Started off without a hitch. These types of days usually don't get to me but this past fathers days was very different. I somehow flopped in my pops chair and started flicking channels mid way through the day. I came across a documentary on the Travel Channel(I think) called, 'Dream Riders'. I only caught the 2nd 1/2 but what I got from it was this: A father probably mid 40's and his son probably early 20's rode bicycles across the country in hopes of gaining insight into their misunderstandings about each other. Music can bring laughter or tears in a nanosecond with me and it wasn't long into this thing I heard some good music that allowed a nice fathers day remembrance/purging/cleansing. Whatever you wanna call it. It builds, it releases and you continue and the cycle will continue forever and 1 day if you're lucky somebody will have the same thoughts about you regardless of parenthood. Your memory will live on. Concerning this documentary I was weeping and wouldn't you know they rode right through a town my pop played minor league baseball in. Olean, New York. (http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Olean_Oilers) So believe it or not it felt like he was speaking to me and it made things even more intense. In the end this father and son worked through a ton of misunderstandings and finally as they were at journeys end the son said to his father, 'I love you'. He had enough resent to hold off saying this until the journeys end. So the message is that some things are misunderstood and some things are very understood but need to be healed and there are those things that can probably never be healed. If you still have a pop try your best if possible................The lyrics to the song that got me were as follows: I take it as spoken from the father but I could be wrong and now that I re-read, it could go either way but it's beautiful to me. I immediately went to amazon and bought the soundtrack to DreamRiders(Ari Hest and Dewey Kincade)

Lyrics to One Line Epitaph :
So you say you know just who I am.
But I'm afraid that you don't understand.
'Not a line written in your book.. 'not an angel, and I am not a crook.

You see black and you know just what that means.
You say "no" with so much certainty.
You see a world drawn out on a grid, running from oceans where the buried treasure's hid.

Don't squeeze me in to your photograph.
Don't sum me up to a one line epitaph, skipping from the graph.. a one-trick pony.

Life is simpler when you know just who you are..
til the breakdown comes and you find that you were wrong.
That oppression comes for an extended stay.. stand on the shore and watch your future drift away.

Don't squeeze me in to your photograph.
Don't sum me up to a one line epitaph, skipping from the graph.. a one-trick pony.

A one line epitaph, skipping from the graph.. a one-trick pony.


---------------------------------------------
and in my mindset I wrote my simple thoughts:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Fathers day
---------------
I can hear harmonica
I can see a baseball
I can feel laughter
running around my memories
that survive
my father is with me
every single day
and now and again I am reminded
just how close he is
signs come from left field
sometimes I smile and sometimes I cry
today I miss him
but I know I'm not alone

1 comment:

jim griffin said...

sweet thoughts from a sweet guy about a sweet man